I got my green card this year. I left the US for 37 days and came back. Now in December I wish to leave the US for five and a half months, approximately 175 to 170 days, which is less than six months. Can I go for this duration? Will my previous 37 days be added to this, which would make my absence more than 6 months total?


1 Answer 1


According to this page from the US Customs and Border Protection, you can stay out of the US for up to a year before you run into problems.

(I found other, non-authoritative, sites which suggest you may be subject to additional questioning between six months and a year.)

I think you will be fine.

  • 3
    Just in case the people who think there may be additional questioning are right, the OP could carry evidence that they really are resident in the US and only visiting other places. Mar 8, 2019 at 23:38
  • The "additional questioning" arises from 8 USC 1101(a)(13)(C)(ii), which specifies that LPRs arriving after an absence of over 180 days must be considered "as seeking an admission"; in general, returning LPRs are not considered as such.
    – phoog
    May 23, 2019 at 20:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.