I am temporarily staying in the Philippines. My New York driver's license is set to expire in 2021. Is it possible to go to the US embassy here in Manila and ask them for assistance, or can I do it online?

  • 1
    Define temporarily. Your question seems to imply you're there for two more years, at least... – DJohnM Feb 11 at 6:41
  • 1
    It looks like you can convert your US driver's license to a Philippine one for about US$7: living-in-the-philippines.com/driver-license-philippines.shtml – Greg Hewgill Feb 11 at 20:11
  • Generally, it seems you are not supposed to be able to do this, though if you are maintaining a residence in New York you may be able to. (I suspect that you also have to pay New York state income tax if you claim to be a resident of New York state; you may want to seek professional advice.) The US embassy is unlikely to be able to help. – phoog Feb 12 at 21:13
  • Did you even look before you came here? If you Google "Renew New York Drivers License Online," you will find the NY DMV page on...wait for it...renewing online. – David Feb 13 at 0:30

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.