The process for exchanging a NZ drivers license for a UK one seems straight forward. But, how do I go about getting a UK drivers license with being allowed to drive a manual transmission car?

It seems I need some manual transmission proof. I sat my restricted and full license in manual cars.

  • I don’t really understand your question. If your NZ licence allows you to drive a manual car surely it indicates that somewhere on the licence itself? NZ is a ‘designated country’ so you should just be exchanging like for like? gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence/y/yes/car-or-motorcycle/…
    – Traveller
    Commented Feb 17, 2019 at 23:08
  • 1
    @Traveller: There is no indication on an NZ license about whether or not the holder can drive a manual transmission car. The distinction is simply not made in NZ. See nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/getting-a-licence/… for what is covered. It may be amusing that steam engines are accounted for, but not transmission types. :) Commented Feb 18, 2019 at 0:24
  • Did the DVLA tell you they need proof?
    – MJeffryes
    Commented Feb 18, 2019 at 5:55
  • Yes, the DVLA have requested proof Commented Feb 19, 2019 at 12:10
  • 1
    @steakunderscore Strange! This thread I found might be helpful to you. Someone there was able to request a "Letter of Entitlement" from NZTA, which convinced the DVLA to issue a manual licence. Please report back if this is successful. britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/…
    – MJeffryes
    Commented Feb 19, 2019 at 12:20

1 Answer 1


I ended up calling NZTA, the person on the phone seemed to know what I needed.

10 minutes later I had an email from NZTA with a "Letter of Entitlement". I printed this and sent it off with my application. This was sufficient to get my license transferred with manual endorsements.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.