I was previously a UK permanent resident, however I was outside of the UK for more than 2 years and hence have to apply as a returning resident to come to UK.

My two minor children are UK citizens who wish to pursue their further schooling and university and settle in UK. Since they are minors, they have to be accompanied by me their Parent. Is this reason strong enough for clearance office to grant me a returning resident visa?

  • 2
    Why can't they go to school and university where you live?
    – gnasher729
    Feb 24 '19 at 14:57
  • 3
    @gnasher729 Your query might be interesting, but it isn't what the OP asked. The original question is not "how to get my kids an education," but instead is how to obtain a UK returning resident visa. Feb 24 '19 at 21:20
  • 1
    @Taj, just a dose of reality though it doesn't answer your question, this visa is notoriously difficult to acquire. In ten plus years of observing immigration topics online, I can only point to one case where this visa was successfully awarded, and that was after a hard fought appeal. If you can qualify by other means, I reccommend that route instead. If you've been out of the country for just barely (weeks) over two years, they might just let you in. This is at the discretion of the Broder Control and is recoginzed just like a full-blown successful application. I've seen this once as well.
    – ouflak
    Feb 25 '19 at 9:07
  • 1
    @Taj I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic but although your children have an inalienable right to be in the UK they don’t HAVE to attend schooling there. A case for compelling/compassionate reasons might exist if the education options in your current place of residence are so utterly abysmal that a return to the UK for schooling is the only viable alternative. But plenty of children board in the UK and their parents visit. If your children are considering university, again it’s not necessary for a parent to be in the UK full-time. You probably need to consult an Immigration lawyer
    – Traveller
    Feb 26 '19 at 12:18
  • 2
    @David, gnasher's question was relevant because it is the exact question that will be asked (and probably the first one) when reviewing a case for a Returning Resident on that basis. And the answer will be fundamental to why the application will almost certainly be rejected as most of this type are.
    – ouflak
    Feb 27 '19 at 8:52

Factors for consideration when assessing whether a person can be readmitted to the UK as a returning resident under paragraph 19 of the Immigration Rules include:

• their strength of ties to the UK including:

o the nature of those ties

o the extent to which those ties have been maintained during the applicant’s absence

• the length of their original residence in the UK

• the length of time the applicant has been outside the UK

• the circumstances in which they left the UK and their reasons for remaining absent

• their reasons for now wishing to return

• whether, if they were to be readmitted, they would continue to live in the UK

• any other compelling or compassionate factors


Without knowing the answers to some of the above, where you and your children currently reside, their age/current schooling, other ties to the UK etc, it’s hard to judge whether having two children with UK citizenship who want to return could be deemed sufficient in and of itself.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.