I work for a German company and I am a resident in the UK working for the UK register branch. I drive a car in the UK for company and private use. This car is on EU registered number plates and is own by the EU (German) company. How long can I use it for in the UK? Are there any other issues with doing so?

  • Are there any other issues with doing so? You mean, apart from Brexit throwing uncertainty into everything?
    – gerrit
    Mar 7, 2019 at 14:48

1 Answer 1


Here is your answer : If you become a resident or stay for longer than 6 months you must register and tax your vehicle in the UK


  • The vehicle isn't his: it's his company's. Therefore, it's the company's problem Jul 12, 2019 at 0:13
  • @MatthewBarclay It's not necessarily that simple. I haven't found any clear statement of the rules in the UK to back that up in this particular case but in many European countries it is illegal driving any vehicle with foreign plates once you have become a resident. For example, it would be forbidden to drive a visiting friend's or family member's car if they are not present. Driving the vehicle might expose you to a fine and other unpleasantness if stopped by the police, no matter who it belongs to. (+1 to the answer)
    – Relaxed
    Jul 13, 2019 at 13:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.