I am planning on traveling to the USA to volunteer at a non-profit organization for roughly 6 months. Do I need to get a visa to do so and if I do, which one do I need? I am a Canadian citizen and I will not be getting paid for my work being done there.

  • 1
    Is the organization going to sponsor you for a J-1 visa? The B-visas do not allow you to work (paid or otherwise). Feb 28 '19 at 6:00
  • 2
    @RoddyoftheFrozenPeas volunteer activities that are normally performed by volunteers are not considered work, however, so it depends on what specific voluntary activities are planned. Nicole, what kind of volunteering are you planning to do?
    – phoog
    Feb 28 '19 at 7:09
  • For six months I'm rather doubting it's the kind of exempt volunteer activity. Woofing isn't exempt. Feb 28 '19 at 16:04