My wife is German, and I'm American. We have been living in Germany for a few years now, and my residency card has expired. We have been afraid to try to renew it because we noticed it was expired after it happened. It is a little over a year overdue. What are our options? I am self employed and it doesn't matter where we live, we just want to live together in the EU. Is it still possible to renew my residency card, or will I get deported if I try?

  • As this is a question about long term residency, I move it to our sister site. – Willeke Mar 4 '19 at 12:35
  • 2
    A deportation will be extremely unlikely unless they suspect your marriage of being a sham. I would be much more concerned about the tax status of your self-employed business. Did you file taxes? If so, your presence is on record anyway. – o.m. Mar 4 '19 at 16:30
  • 2
    @John, You're more likely to get a stern talking to rather than anything even remotely leading to deportation. Just get it done and move on. – ouflak Mar 5 '19 at 11:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy