I'm working for a small US company remotely from Japan. The company doesn't have a branch in Japan or anything, so American social security tax is still being deducted from my paycheck (payroll is all done under an American address)

However, since I don't have any plans to move back to the US in the next 5 years, and Japan and the US have a totalization agreement for social security, I should be paying the tax in Japan, and not the US (according to my research from Googling & from talking to the social security information desk in Japan). Currently I'm paying in both countries.

I can't seem to find any resources that explain what I need to do to stop paying social security in the US. What kind of paperwork needs to happen? Is it even possible when it's a small company with no Japanese branch?

  • “Payroll is all done under an American address” - your employer’s or yours? – Traveller Mar 13 '19 at 10:18
  • @Traveller - both are under an American address. – Skeets Mar 13 '19 at 21:45

If you want to stop paying social security in the US, then you need to be on a Japanese payroll, not a US payroll. The bottom line is that as long as you are a US payroll, then US social security must be withheld. Your US employer has no way to stop withholding this from your paycheck.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.