I'm currently contemplating moving from the United States to Australia (Queensland). I read that one of the immigration requirements was to complete the IELTS test.

Because I'm already from a primarily english-speaking country, do I receive any exemptions? Is the test waived entirely?

  • Which visa are you considering applying for?
    – Traveller
    Mar 16, 2019 at 20:41
  • I haven't looked at Australia, but I have seen other governments which waive language tests if one has a university degree from an English-speaking country; you might search from that point of view. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:53

1 Answer 1


According to this webpage, just having a USA passport is enough to guarantee "competent English."

I reached that page by following the pages that discuss applying for permanent residency based on points-based work visa.

One possibility for taking the test anyway is if you need some points.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.