Possible Reasons for Suing :

1_ Defamation

2_ Terrorism ; Visitor felt "terrorized" by the behavior, incl. statements committed, through omission & / or by commission, by Personnel of their Consulate

3_ other Malfeasance inter alia

National-Visitor :

National of the "Sending" Country AND Visitor to Consulate of Sending Country during which they allegedly were subject to Malfeasance from the Consulate Personnel

  • @ Sean Sean Are you an expatriate in the country to which your question refers? Which country(ies) does your question refer to? The question might be better suited to law.stackexchange.com
    – Traveller
    Mar 31, 2019 at 10:41
  • 1
    So this is about the consulate of country X located in country Y, being visited by a citizen of country Y? Also, are you quoting something here? Then show a link to the original.
    – user6860
    Mar 31, 2019 at 12:32
  • @JanDoggen country X is the sending country, so the question is about a national of country X seeking to sue the consulate of country X under country Y's laws.
    – phoog
    Mar 31, 2019 at 14:56
  • Thank u to the 3 posters above for ur replies.
    – Sean Sean
    Mar 31, 2019 at 15:02
  • 1
    Can you edit your question and supply the additional information that is asked here in the comments? Your question is not very clear.
    – user6860
    Mar 31, 2019 at 17:09

1 Answer 1


Consulates and consular personnel enjoy "official acts" immunity. If the alleged malfeasance was perpetrated in connection with official duties, it would only be possible to pursue in the legal system of the receiving country with the consent of the sending country, that is, if the sending country were to waive immunity. That would seem extremely unlikely.

If the act were not in connection with official duties, the receiving state could assume jurisdiction, but that would be very difficult to establish given that the malfeasance occurred during a visit to the consular premises.

  • Not a sweet answer to for to give hope to one inclined to natural justice ; But,- I think that it is elegant description of the reality. How about the process of suing country X [ sending country ] when citizen of X is 1_ back in country X ? or 2_ in country Y [ receiving country ] ? or 3_ next located in country Z ?
    – Sean Sean
    Mar 31, 2019 at 15:14
  • CLARIFICATION PER JUST PREVIOUS POST ; Here I enquire about starting to sue country X through the respective options of country X when Plaintiff is located 1_ back in country X [ "Sending" country ] ? or 2_ in country Y [ "Receiving" country ] ? or 3_ in some other country Z ?
    – Sean Sean
    Mar 31, 2019 at 15:39
  • @SeanSean if the improper act was an official act then your only hope really is to pursue the matter under the laws of the sending country. Whether that is possible or realistic depends on the laws of that country.
    – phoog
    Mar 31, 2019 at 16:53
  • @SeanSean The fact you can't use the courts of the receiving country is not a violation of natural justice - you just have to pursue the case in the courts of the sending country. (If that is not possible, then the sending country may not support natural justice - many don't.) Mar 31, 2019 at 17:40
  • All very helpful replies. Yer sharp writing -- even when serving "the wall" that the status quo would serve up -- is very useful for me in my preparations to bring 'em to justice. AT THIS JUNCTURE,- I WOULD APPRECIATE GREATEST LIST OF P-R-E-C-E-D-E-N-T-S WHERE CITIZENS OF CONSULATE'S SENDING COUNTRY WERE SUCCESSFUL IN SUING CONSULATE CIVIL SERVANTS FOR WRONG DOING IN PUBLIC OFFICE [ MALFEASANCE ]. This whole pursuit will be for the greater good of all citizens & subjects of countries worldwide. Thanking yee all in advance, Sean Sean.
    – Sean Sean
    Apr 1, 2019 at 3:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.