I have two children, under 10 years old, born in Ghana and would like to know how to register them as British citizens. I, the father, am a British citizen by birth and the mother is a Ghanaian citizen. Can they possess dual citizenship?

  • A British citizen "by birth" specifically refers to someone born in the UK before 1983, or after 1983 to at least one parent who was a British citizen or permanent resident. Is that what you are?
    – user102008
    Commented Apr 6, 2019 at 15:15

1 Answer 1


Assuming the births have been registered locally you can also register the births with the UK authorities. You don’t need to do this but it means:

  • the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland
  • you can order a consular birth registration certificate https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

You can still apply for a UK passport for your children even if you don’t register the birth in the UK.

Ghana permits dual citizenship https://www.ghanahighcommissionuk.com/dual-citizenship-application/

  • 2
    @RichardReid this answer makes the assumption that you are a British citizen "otherwise than by descent." If that is true then your children are already British citizens (by descent). If, however, you are a British citizen "by descent," that is, by birth outside the UK and its territories, this answer does not apply, because in that case the children are not British citizens.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 6, 2019 at 3:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.