I'm currently employed as a U.S. citizen in the USA. However, I have dual Irish/US citizenship (and both passports), as my father was born and raised in Cork. I'd like to request a transfer to the UK from my company (as US subsidiary of a British company). Do I need a work visa (since I'm currently employed as a U.S. citizen) or can I just work there as an Irish citizen (due to EEA recognition)? (If I get the transfer, I will work with an immigration attorney to make sure we do it right, but I'd like to "sell" the transfer to them as something easier/cheaper/faster to do if I don't have to get a work visa.) Thanks!

  • You don't mention any family members. If you will be accompanied by any family members there will be other considerations. Commented Apr 11, 2019 at 3:13
  • @GerardAshton such as?
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 11, 2019 at 3:54
  • 1
    @phoog, such as determining if the relationship qualifies the family member to stay, work, and obtain health services for an extended time/ indefinitely, whether the family member would be able to remain in UK if the original poster returns to the US, obtaining proof of the relationship and, if proof is not in English, an acceptable translation. Commented Apr 11, 2019 at 12:10
  • phoog, thank you so much! GerardAshton, I would bring my husband and 10-year-old daughter (both US citizens) with me. My husband would like to be able to work, but I understand that may not be possible.
    – TristaTrix
    Commented Apr 11, 2019 at 13:31
  • 1
    If the daughter is an Irish citizen, no problem. But in general, with the myriad of different waiting periods from different triggering events, one would want to plan for the possibility that a teenage child likes it there and wants to stay upon reaching age 18, even though the parent comes back to the US. Commented Apr 11, 2019 at 17:54

1 Answer 1


You do not need a work visa. You are an Irish citizen, and Irish citizens do not need authorization to work in the UK. The fact that you are also a US citizen who is currently working in the US does not change that.

You also do not need an immigration attorney. All you need is an Irish passport.

You may want to consult with a financial advisor, however, since the US will continue to require you to report your worldwide income and figure tax on it, though there is an exemption for foreign earned income and for taxes paid to other jurisdictions. You'll also want to be aware of FATCA.

  • 2
    In addition, it is worth noting that the right for Irish citizens to work in the UK without any restriction predates the UK's entry to the EEA and is very likely to continue after the UK's exit from the EEA. (If that ever happens.) In many ways the UK treats Irish citizens as if independence never happened. Commented Apr 11, 2019 at 13:04
  • 1
    @MartinBonner indeed. I thought about mentioning that and decided not to. But you are right, it should be noted.
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 11, 2019 at 14:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.