I am a J1 visa holder and my partner is a J2 dependent. I extended my job contract and we were issued new DS-2019s, but our visa (entry documents) are expired. Is my partner able to travel home (to Australia/New Zealand) and renew his entry documents without me, or do I need to be present for the interview when he applies? Any advice would be most appreciated!

Clarifying: we both have valid, continuing DS-2019s, but expired entry documents.

1 Answer 1


You should not need to be present. Your I-94 and DS-2019 showing that you are in J1 status should be enough.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.