I am trying to find out how I can bring my unmarried partner to Poland to live with me. I am in the process of handing in my documents for a Blue Card application.

I am a New Zealand citizen.

I found the following website which mentions the process, but I am unsure if this is still applicable and if it is the easiest method.


  • Please edit your question to indicate if you are Polish, or some other non-Polish EU/EEA/Swiss national (this is the best case), or a non-EU national. Apr 25, 2019 at 13:35
  • 1
    @MartinBonner a blue card holder is necessarily a non-EU national.
    – phoog
    Apr 25, 2019 at 14:44
  • @phoog D'oh! I missed that. Apr 25, 2019 at 19:31
  • 1
    @MartinBonner I have clarified my nationality in the question.
    – Asher
    Apr 26, 2019 at 9:21

1 Answer 1


No one answered my question, so I thought I would relay how the process was handled.

I was required to sign a contract with a notary which stipulated I was paying my partner around 500 PLN per month. After this we went to the tax office to pay tax on this income (counted over the duration of my existing work permit, which was 3 years).

After submitting this to the tax office, we supplied the contract and the tax receipt to the immigration office.

My partner now holds a temporary residence permit, the only condition being that they are not allowed to work.

  • +1, thanks for the report! It means your partner did not qualify for the regular spouse status (but for another type of residence permit) as I think this should give them the right to work in Poland, correct?
    – Relaxed
    Jan 27, 2021 at 8:27
  • Correct, that's the case because we are cohabiting rather than married. Poland does not recognise these types of relationships.
    – Asher
    Oct 6, 2022 at 16:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.