in all of my academic certificates my surname has been abbreviated (only the initial as been used), where as my passport contains my Name and surname in full.


Academic documents
FirstName L

FirstName LastName

Will this cause any issue in my visa application? If so what can I do to prevent a rejection due to this reason?

  • IMHO this will cause a problem (although maybe not if you submitted these same documents in your previous application and UKVI did not include the discrepancy as one of the refusal reasons expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/16227/…) Can you get your academic documents changed to show your full name to match your passport, or at least get a letter from the educational institution(s) confirming that the certificates relate to you in your full name?
    – Traveller
    Apr 28 '19 at 8:07
  • Getting the names changed on the certificates is a lengthy and very expensive process. And the university does not offer a letter stating that certificate relates to me. I have contacted UKVI asking the same question, hopefully they'll get back with the answers soon. Apr 29 '19 at 0:52
  • Why has the name been abbreviated on your academic qualifications? Is this traditional in your country, or is it just that your FirstName is rather longer than normal, and the overall field has been truncated. May 2 '19 at 12:59
  • This is very common in south India. But in the passport the initials have to be expanded. This phenomenon is so common but I am yet find another question or content online mentioning it. May 2 '19 at 22:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.