If someone is employed for a company on the H1/L1 visa, they're not allowed to work for additional employers on the side. But is it permissible for those people to run a small business on the side, such as being a wedding photographer?

  • 2
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but can't find a statute or regulation addressing this. If I do, I'll post an answer. – phoog May 9 '19 at 19:51
  • 1
    The best I can find (on Quora/lawyer sites) is that you could be a silent partner--that is, do no active work for the business. – mkennedy May 10 '19 at 22:40

Given that H1-B visas require that you have an employer-employee relationship (which means that 1099s are not acceptable) and any employment must be complaint to the H1-B regulations and approved in the USCIS forms, no you cannot.

For an L1 visa, the answer is also no because you can only work for the petitioning employer.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.