I am an Indian citizen staying at India. If I marry a British citizen or French citizen then how will I get EU citizenship ?

  • 1
    If you marry an EU citizen in order to get EU citizenship, that fact alone can exclude you from getting EU citizenship. – gnasher729 May 11 '19 at 13:52

Citizenship of the European Union is granted by the member states of the European Union according to their national laws. That is, any citizen of a member state is automatically also a citizen of the EU, and there is no way to be a citizen of the EU other than by having the citizenship of a member state.

The UK generally requires you to reside in the UK for a number of years before you can naturalize. The residence requirement is reduced from 5 years to 3 years if you are married to a citizen of the UK. In France, you can naturalize after four years of marriage to a French citizen if you live in France, or after four or five years, depending on other circumstances, if you live abroad, if I understand the relevant web page correctly.

Moving to the UK as the spouse of a British citizen is expensive. Moving to France as the spouse of a French citizen is somewhat less so.

As the spouse of an EU citizen, you would be able to move with your wife to any other EU country, as well, with relatively few formalities, and then you would normally be able to naturalize in that country after having lived there for a certain length of time. The details vary by country.

| improve this answer | |
  • you are right about the four or five years for France. It's four years if the French spouse was registered at the consulate with jurisdiction over where the couple was living, and five years if not. – ar5975 May 10 '19 at 15:17

Ever heard of BREXIT? I would stay away from French women, too. Look for an Italian, or Danish. Just kidding, of course. There is no such thing as EU citizenship, anyway. You will have to check the citizenship laws of the respective country. Google is your friend. E.g.: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-consulate-general-los-angeles/service-for-citizens/documents-and-authentications/austrian-citizenship/

| improve this answer | |
  • There is indeed such a thing as EU citizenship. It was introduced by the 1992 Maastricht treaty. – phoog May 10 '19 at 14:47
  • 1
    @phoog I agree with you but isn't it that EU citizenship exists but only in addition to citizenship of a member state of the EU? – ar5975 May 10 '19 at 15:10
  • 1
    @ar5975 yes. That is correct, as is the rest of this answer. – phoog May 10 '19 at 15:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.