I'm currently contracting under an umbrella company in an EU country and am considering moving to Norway for an as-of-yet still unknown amount of time but likely between 6-12 months.

I intend to keep working for the same client company in the EU while living in Norway and would most likely be required to fly over on a regular basis, let's say for a 1 week every 2 months.

My client company has a registered branch in Norway with offices in the country.


  1. Since Norway is in the EEA, I'm an EU citizen and according to this SO, I understand I can work there for any length of time without a visa or residency permit.
  2. I would assume contract options in Norway are:
    • employee (permanent)
    • contractor (employee)
    • contractor (director)


  1. Would I need to register with social security for that length of time? See this other SO
  2. Would I be required to pay taxes in Norway or can I possibly keep in place my current work arrangements? (possibly same as question.1)
  3. Provided I have to pay taxes in Norway, what factors should I take into consideration (prioritised) to decide on a new contract type? (see assumptions.2)
  • 1
    You might want to mention if the other EU country is a Nordic country or not, as there are special agreements between the Nordic countries. – Tommi May 19 '19 at 6:15
  • 1
    I'm not coming from another Nordic country – Renaud May 20 '19 at 10:48
  • Did you find the answer to your questions? – Zarko Nov 4 '20 at 9:23
  • @Zarko no, sorry – Renaud Nov 5 '20 at 12:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.