I have got a job offer in Germany and I need to apply for a work visa/EU blue card. I have 4.5 years of experience in software development. I have completed my engineering from a well recognized university in Computer science engineering. I have been reading about ANABIN. do I need this certificate for the work visa application or for applying for BLUE card?

NOTE* I have gone through the ANABIN database and I have found my university as well as my degree recognized. Do I still need the certificate?

  • You will need the degree, which they will check against the ANABIN Database. – Mark Johnson May 28 at 10:30

Short answer: Yes or an equivalent type of certificate.

Source: Visahandbuch July 2018

  • 'Blaue Karte EU' Regulation
    • II 1 a: Precondition, Qualification, checking of certificate in ANABIN Database
  • Doesn't this say that "yes, but you already have it"? The important thing is that the certificate must be in the ANABIN Database. – Martin Bonner supports Monica May 28 at 10:18
  • The instructions state that the reconised foreign certificates will be in the ANABIN database, which must be used as the only source. – Mark Johnson May 28 at 10:27
  • This is only true for the Blue Card. The Work Visa doesn't require a university degree. – Nicolas Bouliane Jun 24 at 13:36

The Blue Card requires a recognised university degree or 5 years of experience in your field. I yet have to meet someone who managed to get their 5 years of experience recognised, but I didn't research the topic much.

The work visa does not require a university degree. I worked in Germany for 4 years as a software developer, and I don't have a university degree.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.