Official EU sites:

EU Visa policy

Schengen area as of 2013

The Schengen Visa (Short term visa - Visa C)

PRADO - Public Register of Authentic travel and identity Documents Online

  • search for country
    • then document type
      • C - Visa
      • H - Residence related document
        • O - ordinary document

Images with a red X implies that the document is no longer issued.
When a document is selected, an extensive list of technical details will be shown (purpose, dates of issue, security features etc.)

  • selecting the image will show a very high resolution image of the document

The amount of information varies from country to country.

Unofficial sites:

Schengen Visa Types & Validity, Duration of Stay, 90/180 Rule & Visa Sticker

Transit Visas

  • for Airports

    • the link contains list of Citizenships that require such a visa on a EU or country by country base
  • for Seaports

    • only relevant for persons working on a sea vessel (not for passengers)

Implementation of EU 380/2008 uniform format of residence permits in 12 EU states Wikipedia (German only)

  • with an extensive list of residence permit types for each country

Note: at present only the German version contains this information.

Many implementation details are based on the Consulate Guidlines found in the Visumhandbuch, July 2018 - Auswärtiges Amt, PDF in German, which gives details how certain matter should be delt with such as:

  • 'grace' times for time restricted visa
  • checking if previous visits conformed to the Schengen 90/180 clock rules (with many samples)

Based on the official overview, a series of answers will be added to assist users when asking questions

  • what terminology should be used for a specific aspect / type of question
  • what relevant information is needed to answer the question properly

This is intended as a long term wiki theme.

(Assitance is requested to do this properly in an acceptable form)

  • I've downvoted this because it links to an unofficial site that is well known to be poorly maintained. It often contains inaccurate or outdated information. I also suspect that this would be a better fit for Travel, since questions concerning two out of the three visa types (A and C) generally belong there. – phoog Jun 2 at 18:51
  • @phoog can you point out samples of what you deem to be inaccurate or outdated please. Up to now I have not noticed anything that conflicts with what is stated in the visahandbuch. – Mark Johnson Jun 2 at 19:38
  • Outdated: the main page has a map that does not indicate Croatia's EU membership. Inaccurate: their account of the main destination rule on the "how to apply" page. But that could change at any time. They listed the transit visa (type B) for several years after it was abolished. It is generally better to use official sources if possible. – phoog Jun 2 at 20:18
  • @phoog I will look for alternate links tomorrow. The Visa D sub types will be the 'Answer', which will be probably more extensive than the first. This was the reason for the choise of the Expatriate site instead of travel. – Mark Johnson Jun 3 at 18:02
  • @phoog the quality / usefulness of the official sites leaves much to be desired. Please cheack if the present form is acceptable. – Mark Johnson Jun 4 at 8:35

Visa types (general)
defined in EC 810/2009 Annex VII (7) Type of Visa

  • A: Transit Visa
    • Airports
      • for transportation from one international flight to another
        • you may not leave the transit area, even for a overnight stay
        • it may not be used for an internal Schengen area flight
          • for either conditions a Visa C is required
    • Seaport
      • are for for persons employed on a ship
        • and not for passengers of a ship
    • Citizenship requirerments differ from country to country that requires this visa
  • B: replaced with Visa C - Transit since 2010-04-05
  • C: Short term visits
    • Single, Double and Multiple entries
      • if the validity of the visa or the amount of days is restricted
        (i. e. less than 90 days)
        • the Schengen clock does not apply
      • when restrictions exist
        • 15 days of 'grace' are added to the expected duration
          (given in the original application)
        • entry and exit must be within the given timeframe
    • the default duration is based on the 90/180 rule (Schengen Clock)
      • the enter and exit days in the Schengen area counts as 2 days
        • exit France on the 1st to the United Kindom
        • reenter France on the 4th
          • for the 2 full days (2nd and 3rd) the clock stops
      • the rolling 180-day peiod, when does it start?
        • it starts 180 days before your next entry date
          • this is called (sometimes) a control date (Kontrolldatum)
          • if you were not inside the Schengen area during that period
            • your clock is set to 1
          • otherwise you must add the full days inside the Schengen area, between the control date to the entry date, to the Schengen clock
            • minus any days of a Visa D permit
              (in theory, as apposed to praxis, the days outside the country of the Visa D and inside other Schengen country will added to the clock. The Guidelines, however give no hint as to how the Consolate official should check this, since no passport stamps will be available. This consultation is not meantioned at all)
    • Application of the Visa C is to be made at the Consulate of the major portion of the planed visit stated in the Application
      • enter in Vienna, Austria
      • next day take a train to Switzerland and remain 7 days
        (thus becoming the major portion of your visit)
      • take train to Paris, France and exit Schengen area next day
        • the Application must be made at the consulate of Switzerland
      • if you go to Italy first for 7 days and then to Switzerland
        • the Application must be made at the consulate of Italy (when 2 major portions are the same, the first applies)
      • Exception: if a country, based on your Citizenship, does not require a Visa C from you
        • you must apply for the next major country
          (if you do not need a Visa from that country, they will not issue one)
  • D: long term visa
    • these are national visas based on the country that issued it
    • conditions differ greatly between the different countries and the Citizenship of the applicant
    • the Schengen clock does not apply
      • while inside the country that issued the visa
      • during the validity of the visa (first and last day)
        • the clock will apply in the days before the first day
        • the clock will start after the last day
        • the clock will apply while outside of the country that issued the D visa while visiting another Schengen country
    • will be often issued by a consulate for the initial entry
      • which will then be converted into a residence permit after arrival

Sample of Visa sticker first issued 2010

Sample of Visa sticker first issued 2018

  • press the Back to document button to show the technical details

For all visa types (A, C and D)

  • exceptions exist based on the country that issues the visa and the citizenship of the holder

A realistic answer can only be given when the question contains this information.

  • Visa A: I suggest "For either condition" rather than "For both conditions" – Martin Bonner Jun 5 at 11:32
  • "each enter and exit day of the Schengen area counts as 2 days". Do you mean "each enter day counts as two days and each exit day counts as two days"? (Because that is what you have said). I think what you mean is "the day of entry to the Schengen area counts as a whole day (even if entry is at 1 minute to midnight), as does the day of exit" – Martin Bonner Jun 5 at 11:35
  • There are far too many bolded words in this text. It makes it very hard to read (bold headings are fine). – Martin Bonner Jun 5 at 11:36
  • @MartinBonner 'the enter and exit days in the Schengen' would probably be the best comnination. – Mark Johnson Jun 5 at 11:46
  • @MartinBonner made 2 changes, will look into the bold parts tomorrow. – Mark Johnson Jun 5 at 11:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.