I currently live overseas and have done so since 2010. I previously held a UK driving license, but have somehow managed to mislay it. Can you advise how I can get a replacement. Thank you.

  • 1
    Where do you live? If you live in the EU, you are supposed to replace it with a local license; but that may be hard if you've lost the original. In the worst case you may have to retake the test locally.
    – gerrit
    Jun 5, 2019 at 9:24
  • That is also true elsewhere. A comment in a recent question quoted Maryland, USA as 60 days. Jun 6, 2019 at 7:39

1 Answer 1


UK drivers licenses can be replaced, even from overseas, but only if the applicant resides in Great Britain. See this UK govt. page, which addresses license replacement, and contains the following text:

...To replace your licence you’ll need to: be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland), not be disqualified from driving for any reason pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years.

Thus, to replace your previous license, you'll have to lie to DVLA about your residence. None of us would recommend that course of action.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.