My daughter, a Canadian citizen from birth, is having a child outside Canada where she resides. She does not intend to return to Canada to live for some years. Can she obtain Canadian citizenship for her child. She is not married.

1 Answer 1


If your daughter (the child's mother) was born in Canada, then her child is (most likely) also a Canadian citizen. See Get proof of citizenship for instructions on how to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate for the child.

Once your daughter has the Canadian citizenship certificate, then she can apply for a Canadian passport for the child.

If your daughter was born outside Canada, then the child would probably not be a Canadian citizen.

For more information, see Canadian citizenship by descent.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.