I had a few questions regarding dual citizenship.
I was born in Ukraine in 96, moved to the UK in 05 and recently received British Citizenship.
I’m currently in the process of applying for a British passport and my application is being held on the account that the passport office (or at least my case worker) does not know if Ukraine allows dual citizenship and whether it’s lawful for me to obtain a British passport.
I am somewhat at a disadvantage as I do not understand the Ukrainian language, or the law. I am unable to find the latest rules & legislations regarding dual citizenship in English and am somewhat reluctant to ask the consulate as I am afraid of revealing my details to the Ukrainian authorities because of the mandatory national service there, despite me permanently living and working in the UK.
1) I voluntarily acquired the citizenship of Great Britain. I haven't renounced any kind of Ukrainian citizenship, am I still considered as a Ukrainian citizen?
2) Does this mean I have dual citizenship?
3) Is dual citizenship allowed in Ukraine?
4) From reading online, I understand that a large number of people that still reside in Ukraine hold at least one foreign passport as well as a Ukrainian one. Is this allowed?
5) Am I able to get a letter from the Ukrainian Embassy in the UK explaining that dual citizenship/ dual passports are allowed in Ukraine? - ideally this is what I need
6) What is the process of renouncing Ukrainian citizenship? How long does the process take?
Is there anyone else in the same situation as me?
I really need some advice as to what to do.