I’ve applied for the Wrong visa!! I applied for the right to abode instead of ancestry visa (I am eligible as my grand father was born in the uk). I couldn’t find the ancestry visa in the pull down tabs.

I’ve booked my appointment and have paid for the visa already. Can I just go the the appointment and explain I selected the wrong visa? Or should I apply for the correct one?

If I apply for a new visa will the issue a refund for the one I’ve already applied for (right to abode)

  • 1
    By the time you get to your appointment, most of the work of processing your application, such as reviewing the documents, has already been done. I would be surprised if you could get a refund. Commented Jun 17, 2019 at 4:05
  • 1
    Better to cancel the incorrect application and apply afresh. You should get a refund if you cancel before your appointment.
    – Traveller
    Commented Jun 17, 2019 at 10:06

1 Answer 1


Cancel your application as soon as possible, and hope that the application "hasn't been processed yet," in which case you should be able to get a refund:

Cancel your visa, immigration or citizenship application

You can ask to cancel (withdraw) an application for a visa, visa extension or citizenship.

How you cancel an application depends on where you applied.

You applied outside the UK

Contact UKVI to find out how to cancel your application.

You can only get your fee refunded if your application hasn’t been processed yet.

Then file a new application for the correct visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.