I work for a company in the software industry. I've been admitted to a Spanish university and I am currently applying for a student visa. The duration of the study program is 1 year. One of the required document is:

  • A letter from the workplace explaining the employee leave date and the leave approval from the company.

I guess that this document is the No Objection Certificate (NOC).

While I can understand the NOC for a tourist visa or short term visa, I find it unreasonable to ask the company I'm working in to give me NOC for a whole 1 year. Is my reasoning correct ? Should I try to get the NOC anyway or ignore this requirement ?

  • If it’s ‘required’ then surely you don’t have a choice but to supply it or risk a refusal?
    – Traveller
    Commented Jun 24, 2019 at 19:11
  • @Traveller Some requirements can be tolerated. For example they are asking for a proof of accommodation for the whole study duration while some people managed to get the visa with reservation for the first month only. Commented Jun 24, 2019 at 20:11
  • Well I’m not sure why you’re asking the question, in that case? Or why you think it’s unreasonable to ask your employer to confirm in writing something they’ve agreed to?
    – Traveller
    Commented Jun 24, 2019 at 20:15
  • Is it reasonable to ask for 1 year leave ? I may ask my employer for it but is this really reasonable ? I also think of asking my employer for a letter confirming my employment state (if they didn't agree to approve 1 year leave). Commented Jun 24, 2019 at 20:38
  • Some employers give extended leave for study. It will depend on your employment T&C and their internal policies, I imagine. If they don’t agree then you’ll need to resign in order to take up the university place, which would mean the letter confirming your employment state would be rather meaningless.
    – Traveller
    Commented Jun 24, 2019 at 20:48

1 Answer 1


The most important factor here is honesty and giving a clear overview of your status. If your work can give you a NOC then present it. Otherwise show them the proof of employment and let them decide.

What happened with me is that I showed them the proof of employment and the salary slips. The officer asked me if I would leave this job to study in this program and I replied yes. That's all about this point and thankfully I got the visa!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.