I recently moved out of the US (California) and plan to live in India for 2 years. I have a California business and residential property in California and will continue to pay California income and property taxes. I was wondering if that makes me a California resident as far as California DMV is concerned even though I physically reside outside the country?

  • This is not posted as an Answer, as I've seen only anecdotal evidence. That said: I've never heard of any US state reviewing issued licenses for continued residence in the issuing state. After leaving the issuing states, expats keep those physical licenses as they're useful for driving, car rental, and ID purposes. If the license hasn't expired, it's usually accepted...subject to local laws in the expat's new country about residency and required local licensure. – David supports Monica Jul 20 at 16:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.