I live and I'm resident in the Netherlands, and I'm interested in some remote jobs from US. My nationality is Italian.

  1. Do I need any visa or work permit?
  2. Do I pay taxes in US? (in Netherlands for sure)
  3. What if I'm freelancer and I get a client in US?
  • Are you referring to possibly needing a visa or work permit from UK or US?
    – Traveller
    Jul 19, 2019 at 13:37
  • @Traveller yes exactly. If I need any VISA from the country with the job, even if I reside in the netherlands
    – aneuryzm
    Jul 19, 2019 at 14:02
  • 1
    Just to be clear: you are not planning on actually traveling to the US (or UK), correct? Jul 19, 2019 at 15:28
  • @MikeHarris No. That's why I wrote "remote" job. Remote from Netherlands.
    – aneuryzm
    Jul 19, 2019 at 15:35
  • 1
    If you have clients in the UK, it is very likely that you will need to charge them VAT (value added tax). Jul 22, 2019 at 12:30

1 Answer 1

  1. If you're not physically traveling to the US, you don't need a US visa. However, whatever work you undertake while in the Netherlands must comport with whatever work type or other requirements or restrictions the Dutch government might impose, if any, on non-Dutch residents.

  2. Because you're not working physically in the US, and are not a US citizen, you are not required to file a US income tax return, nor are you obligated to pay US taxes. You will be liable for tax to the Netherlands.

  3. See both answers above. If you wish to travel to the US, however, you may need a visa depending upon the purpose of your visit.

  4. I'm not familiar with the UK tax system, and don't know if, as a non-UK resident working remotely for a UK firm, you'd be liable for UK taxes. Because the UK is not within the Schengen area, your ability to travel to the UK will be determined by your nationality and the purpose of your visit. This UK government page has an answer-the-questions wizard to answer the "do I need a visa?" question.

  • If an employee recruited overseas is not resident in the UK, generally no PAYE is due unless the non-resident employee performs duties in the UK which are more than incidental to their overseas work. ‘Incidental duties’ are subordinate or ancillary to overseas work, such as training in the UK or general meetings. hrzone.com/perform/people/…
    – Traveller
    Jul 19, 2019 at 21:34
  • @Traveller That sounds like an answer to the tax part of the OP’s fourth question. Jul 19, 2019 at 22:43
  • OP is an Italian citizen, so enjoys a virtually unrestricted right to work in the Netherlands and to travel to the UK. The latter will be more restricted at some point if the UK leaves the EU.
    – phoog
    Jul 23, 2019 at 15:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.