I'm a young (20) Canadian visiting the UK, and staying with a family free of charge in exchange for babysitting their children for about three hours a day. They provide me with pocket money, but no formal wage, which I will use (along with some savings) to explore the country. I plan to base myself in London, with a decent bit of weekend travels to other countries. I have a flight there booked for September, and a return flight booked for December. I then will return in January, and leave the UK for good at the end of February. Do any of you foresee any problems with my arrangement? I live in Winnipeg, and the long term visa requirements must be fulfilled in Toronto, so it would be quite unrealistic for me to spend $1,000 on a round-trip flight to Toronto simply for them to scan my fingerprints.

  • Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat.
    – Mark Mayo
    Jul 19, 2019 at 1:31
  • 3
    You're lucky enough to be from one of the few countries eligible for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa. You should apply for that rather than risk being deported.
    – MJeffryes
    Jul 21, 2019 at 13:51
  • I recommend you search for “uk au pair visa”, this should give you all the details (your arrangement is called being an “au pair”).
    – jcaron
    Jul 21, 2019 at 14:26

1 Answer 1


The big problem that I see with this arrangement is that the UK considers it work -- and it is; you will literally be working for compensation -- and will not allow you to enter for that purpose without a work visa.

  • 1
    Punctuation in this answer is as neat as it’s content! Jul 19, 2019 at 4:18
  • 1
    I can't help it. I've been a writer for much longer than I've been anything else. Jul 19, 2019 at 4:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.