I am Indian have International Driving Permit (IDP) which is valid only for one year (8 months remaining).I would like to know about procedure of getting a motorcycle license in JAPAN. I will live here for 3 more years.

I searched over internet sites like Gajinpot etc. But didn't get a procedure for my situation (that is with IDP, staying for long term). Do I need to take some test? If so, can I take it in English?

1 Answer 1


After your IDP is no longer valid, you will need to get a Japanese license.

The written test for cars may be taken in English. For cars, the driving (practical) test is conducted in Japanese.

I don't know how they'll administer the tests for a motorcycle license...but the practical test is rigorous. Because there are far fewer applicants for motorcycle licenses than for car licenses, the motorcycle exams will probably be administered in Japanese.

  • 2
    OP can get a scooter (less than 50cc) license which only requires a written test.
    – RoboKaren
    Aug 4, 2019 at 4:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.