I am new immigrant and I received my car with an error in the name. what to do ?

  • Was there any letter or documentation accompanying the card with guidance on what to do in this situation?
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 6, 2019 at 7:08
  • This Social Security webpage explains that the Social Security Administration only considers the first and last name to be important (with occasional exceptions). If your issue is about a middle name or a suffix the webpage may help. Commented Aug 7, 2019 at 0:05

1 Answer 1


According to the Social Security Administration, you can get a corrected card free of charge by submitting a new application documenting the correct name.

Since you would presumably be submitting the same documents you used in the initial application, you may want to include a short letter explaining what the error is. It should state the name the name exactly as you want it to be on the card.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.