I and my girlfriend are thinking to get married in Germany. We are homosexual. In my country Egypt, that kind of marriage is not recognized by law and it can me be really dangerous for my life. All I ask if anybody has any experience in such cases? If anyone has experience I need to know the result of the same cases? Also how do you deal with German embassy in Egypt? Should it be in secret or not? Is it really true to marry in Germany you need stamp from German embassy for my birth certificate?

  • 1
    Is your girlfriend also Egyptian?
    – phoog
    Aug 6 '19 at 15:36
  • You both need a proof of your own inheritance, as marriage affects the legacy.
    – Janka
    Aug 6 '19 at 23:56
  • An overview of the process is available here berlin.de/labo/willkommen-in-berlin/einreise/visumsverfahren/… The documents required will depend on your individual circumstances and the immigration status of your girlfriend in Germany
    – Traveller
    Aug 7 '19 at 7:23
  • @Janka What inheritance? What legacy? Can you clarify what you are trying to say here (I'm sure you are trying to make a valid point, but I don't understand it). Aug 7 '19 at 9:06
  • 3
    I'm sorry @dalia, but I agree with Martin Bonner: I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking how to marry your same-sex partner in Germany? Are you asking how to get to Germany to marry? Are you asking how to live in Germany as a same-sex couple after you're married? Or are you asking something else? Aug 8 '19 at 21:06

I think German law requires that the marriage is legal according to German law, and according to the law of each spouses country, in your case according to Egyptian law. And they will want to see a German translation of an Egyptian birth certificate.

You can most likely get around the requirement for the birth certificate if your father holds it and refuses to hand it over, but it may be impossible to get around the requirement that it be legal according to Egyptian law, unless you stay in Germany long enough to acquire German citizenship.

But if you want to get married, you can just walk into the Standesamt where you live (maybe you need to get an appointment first), tell them that you want to get married, and they will tell you all the legal requirements. Because it's their job, because your case makes their day more interesting than most, because the people in that position are generally helpful and quite well-informed about marriage laws about anywhere in the world.

PS. As an alternative you can ask how you would go about entering a civil partnership in Germany and what exactly it means legally. Until quite recently that would have been your only choice in Germany anyway, since same sex marriage hasn’t been legal in Germany for a long time. If you are lucky then Germany will do this no matter what Egyptian law says. Again, the local Standesamt will know exactly what to do.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.