My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting married in Germany. We are homosexual. In my country, Egypt, that kind of marriage is not recognized by law and it can be really dangerous for my life.

All I ask is, has anybody any experience with such cases? If anyone has experience I need to know the result of the same cases? Also how do you deal with the German embassy in Egypt? Should it be a secret or not? Is it really true that to marry in Germany I would need a stamp from the German embassy for my birth certificate?

  • 1
    Is your girlfriend also Egyptian?
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 6, 2019 at 15:36
  • You both need a proof of your own inheritance, as marriage affects the legacy.
    – Janka
    Commented Aug 6, 2019 at 23:56
  • An overview of the process is available here berlin.de/labo/willkommen-in-berlin/einreise/visumsverfahren/… The documents required will depend on your individual circumstances and the immigration status of your girlfriend in Germany
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 7, 2019 at 7:23
  • 1
    @Janka What inheritance? What legacy? Can you clarify what you are trying to say here (I'm sure you are trying to make a valid point, but I don't understand it). Commented Aug 7, 2019 at 9:06
  • 3
    I'm sorry @dalia, but I agree with Martin Bonner: I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking how to marry your same-sex partner in Germany? Are you asking how to get to Germany to marry? Are you asking how to live in Germany as a same-sex couple after you're married? Or are you asking something else? Commented Aug 8, 2019 at 21:06

2 Answers 2


I think German law requires that the marriage is legal according to German law, and according to the law of each spouse's country, in your case according to Egyptian law. And they will want to see a German translation of an Egyptian birth certificate.

You can most likely get around the requirement for the birth certificate if your father holds it and refuses to hand it over, but it may be impossible to get around the requirement that it be legal according to Egyptian law, unless you stay in Germany long enough to acquire German citizenship.

But if you want to get married, you can just walk into the Standesamt where you live (maybe you need to get an appointment first), tell them that you want to get married, and they will tell you all the legal requirements. Because it's their job, because your case makes their day more interesting than most, because the people in that position are generally helpful and quite well-informed about marriage laws about anywhere in the world.

PS. As an alternative you can ask how you would go about entering a civil partnership in Germany and what exactly it means legally. Until quite recently that would have been your only choice in Germany anyway, since same-sex marriage hasn’t been legal in Germany for a long time. If you are lucky then Germany will do this no matter what Egyptian law says. Again, the local Standesamt will know exactly what to do.

PS. Don't know how OP did it - getting German citizenship would be one way. Another way would be getting married in any country in the world that allows it, and whose marriages are recognised in Germany. Getting married in Las Vegas by an Elvis impersonator might actually be workable :-)


All went great: we are married now and live in Germany.

  • 1
    – gnasher729
    Commented Oct 15, 2023 at 19:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.