I have a Niederlassungserlaubnis. I am planning to move to my home country for self employment and pursue an external part-time PhD from a German university (will visit Germany once a year for progress review and discussion). In case my self employment attempt fails, I would like to come back to Germany to finish my PhD as a full-time researcher at the university and then find a job.

Do you think the Ausländerbehörde will agree to keep my Niederlassungserlaubnis valid in my case? Will it help my case if I have a Dauraufenthalt EU since it allows 24 months of absence for prior Blue card holders?

1 Answer 1


you mentioned the correct details. You can leave Germany and EU for up to 12 months and your "Niederlassungserlabunis" will be valid. If you had a Blue Card EU beforehand than you can leave Germany & EU for up to 24 month without loosing your permanent residency. Some info is provided by Berlins immigration office: Permanent residence titles: EU long-term residence permit
But keep in mind to come back before the 12/24 month expires. You dont get a chance to prolong the stay outside and will loose your permit.

New information on September 3rd: Following the law (§ 51 AufenthG) the residence permit expires if the foreigner leaves the country for a reason which is not temporary in nature. Might suit to your plans, as open a business isn`t temporary in that sense. So I would strongly recommend to disuss your plans with the responsible immigration office beforehand.

  • 1
    Thanks for your response. You mentioned Niederlassungserlabunis in your message but I think you meant Daueraufenthalt-EU. Is that correct?
    – Aman
    Commented Sep 1, 2019 at 12:21
  • I mentioned Niederlassungserlaubnis as you were talking about this kind of residence type. Commented Sep 3, 2019 at 6:42
  • Niederlassungserlaubnis (NE, lit. settlement permit) is just the legal term for an indefinite permit to stay, § 9 Ⅰ 1 AufenthG. There is no expiration date. This is contrast to an Aufenthaltserlaubnis (AE, lit. presence permit), a permit to stay for a finite period, § 7 Ⅰ 1 AufenthG. An Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt – EU is not associated with an expiration date so it is a Niederlassungserlaubnis, too. In general all regulations applicable to an NE are also apply to an Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt – EU, § 9 Ⅰ 3 AufenthG. Commented Mar 8 at 19:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.