I received my SPR in 2002 and expired in 2007. I did not withdraw my CPF contribution. I want to know how much I have in my account and tried to check online. I forgot my signpass password and tried to retrieve my password but the system denied stating my personal detail is invalid. How can I retrieve my account? Why the system denied my personal information as I entered correctly.

  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because the OP needs to contact the Help team for the system they’re trying to access
    – Traveller
    Aug 31, 2019 at 6:21
  • @Traveller This is about checking pension balance, not just logging in. Sep 3, 2019 at 22:20

1 Answer 1


If your SingPass is no longer valid, you cannot do it online, but you can contact CPF and ask them to give you a statement:

You can also email [email protected], call 1800-227-1188 or visit any of our CPF Service Centres for a printed copy of your Yearly Statement of Account. Please note that an administrative fee would be chargeable if you would like to have a copy of your statement to be mailed to you.

Source: https://www.cpf.gov.sg/members/FAQ/schemes/other-matters/others/FAQDetails?category=other+matters&group=Others&ajfaqid=2192013&folderid=13700

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.