I'm a UK national and I've been offered a postdoc position in Seattle. I know I will have no problem getting a visa, but I also want my girlfriend (also a UK national and a marine biologist) to come with me. How would it be best to approach also getting her a visa? Could she latch onto mine or could she get a different visa?

  • 3
    The US doesn't offer immigration benefits to unmarried partners. Would you consider marrying? If not, she'd need to find a visa in her own right. – phoog Sep 11 '19 at 2:16
  • If you do get married and decide to petition for a F2 (dependent of F1-Student) visa for her, please keep in mind that she won't be able to work or study under the visa. I would recommend you both getting F1 visas even if you decide to get married. – IanDan Sep 11 '19 at 15:12
  • @Ian Dantas As the OP is considering a postdoc position, if they marry wouldn't a J or H visa be more suitable? – DavidSupportsMonica Sep 11 '19 at 15:20
  • @David I'm not aware of post-docs on H visas. Hs are usually work related visas. Since the primary reason for travel in this case is the pursuit for a degree, the OP will be primarily a student, therefore a F1 holder. As for a J visa, it could be the case if the OP is doing a exchange or is sponsored by an institution. Neither case is clear from what the OP posted. So, most likely he will be an F1. Moreover, being a J or H won't change the outcome. Neither would give the OP's girlfriend right to work as a dependent. – IanDan Sep 11 '19 at 22:10
  • @IanDantas I agree that a girlfriend ≠ someone who'd be entitled to obtain a visa to work as a dependent. However, a "postdoc" in common parlance is a person who's already earned a PhD and who's employed on a contract or yearly basis as a university staff member, for pay. Postdocs are not working towards their own degrees, and are not students. I think, therefore, that the OP is not entitled to an F visa. – DavidSupportsMonica Sep 11 '19 at 22:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.