I have Aufenthaltserlaubnis and because of some personal reasons, I have stayed outside Germany (and EU) for more than 160 days. 

I would like to enquire how many days I can stay out of Germany, in my visa category? Is it 180 days in a year (with multiple entries) or 6 months on a stretch, once you leave Germany?  

This year, I have already stayed 160 days in total in my home country (outside EU), with multiple entries. So, do I need to enter Germany before 179th day? Or since I came to my home country on 20th August 2019, so I can stay for 6 months.


2 Answers 2


If you are out of Germany at a stretch for more than 180 days, your card becomes invalid i.e(180days+1day) or if you de-register from Germany your card becomes invalid immediately. This is what I have been told. And with EU blue card its one year.

  • this is not true in cases (as with @Anony) where the residence permit is issued based the spouses permit. In the case a BlueCard. See expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/19213/… and expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/19226/… Sep 25, 2019 at 8:48
  • 1
    Also note, that the 180 day period can be extended if reported beforhand. See my original answer. Sep 25, 2019 at 9:09
  • I agree if the foreign office is informed beforehand and you get a letter from them then longer absence is allowed and your permit stays valid.
    – Anony
    Sep 25, 2019 at 9:29
  • I would suggest you upvote my answer and delete yours that is partially based on mine. Sep 25, 2019 at 9:32

Not knowing what type of residence permit you have, hard to say.

You should inform the issuing authority of your intention of leaving for a longer period beforehand.

Based on the specific situation, leave can be granted for a longer period than 6 months.

If you have given your work and flat and deregistered, the residence permit becomes invalid upon exit.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.