Can I live in Finland or Sweden if I have permanent residence in another EU country? If I can, Can I get citizenship after 5 years of immigration?

I would like to live in Sweden or Finland using the permanent residence that I got in the process of Bulgarian investment citizenship.


1 Answer 1


As allready answered in the comments: no, since residence permits (D-Visa) are national visas.

As a D-Visa holder of a Schengen Country you can only travel to other Schengen Countries based on the 90/180 day rule, without having to apply for a C-Visa if needed for your original citizenship.

But Bulgaria is not a Schengen Country (only a candidate), therefore the travel conditions of your original citizenship apply.

For Blue Card holders there are exceptions when certain preconditions are fulfilled.

The result of this form Do you have a residence document from an EU country?

  • Yes - I have another residence document, issued under national rules
    • Non-Schengen area country (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania, United Kingdom)
      • Schengen area country (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.)


You have a residence document issued by a non-Schengen country and are travelling to a Schengen country

You will need a visa

So the permanent residence permit, that you got in the process of the Bulgarian investment citizenship, will not allow you to

  • live or visit Finnland, Sweden or any other Schengen Country

on it's own.

Bulgaria Residency and Citizenship by Investment - Golden Visas

Bond investors in the Bulgarian residency programme can apply for Bulgarian citizenship after 5 years. It is possible to fast track the citizenship option by increasing the investment amount a further €511,292.

Please note however that there is no clearly defined and predictable path to citizenship through the Bulgarian “programme”. Potential applicants are advised to contact us for individual advice if they are considering this option.

  • Worth noting that after acquiring Bulgarian citizenship through the 5 year route allowed by the ‘golden visa’ the OP would be able to move to another EU country?
    – Traveller
    Commented Sep 14, 2019 at 10:40
  • @Traveller no, since was not part of the question. Have added, what seems to be, the main site of the golden visa where those interested can read further. Commented Sep 14, 2019 at 10:46
  • 1
    @Traveller in any event, this answer is incorrect because it does not take into account directive 2003/109/EC.
    – phoog
    Commented Sep 19, 2019 at 12:53
  • 2
    Also, a residence permit is not a D visa.
    – phoog
    Commented Sep 19, 2019 at 13:01
  • 2
    @MarkJohnson I cannot imagine what else the meaning of "permanent residence" in the question title would be. The fact that a residence permit has the same legal effect as a D visa for some purposes does not mean that the two are the same thing. There are significant differences.
    – phoog
    Commented Sep 19, 2019 at 13:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.