I'm applying for German national visa, and after taking a look at my contract again, I noticed that my name spelling in contract and in my passport is different. In the passport it's Aleksandr, but in the contract (and several other documents)it's Alexander. Is this going to be a problem?

  • How is it spelt on your birth certificate? Is it spelt in Cyrillic? – Martin Bonner supports Monica Sep 25 '19 at 20:45
  • Can’t you ask for your contract to be re-issued so that it matches your passport? – Traveller Sep 25 '19 at 22:41

As a general rule, a given name should be used as in the birth certificate

  • in your case as used in your passport in its Romanized version

Use of first names

The given names in the birth certificate may be used by the namesake in private legal and business transactions at will and have equal rights

Any contracts should use the given name spelling used in the passport

  • where multiple given names exist, you are free to choose which

Assume your residence card will contain the same name spelling used in the passport.

In cases, like picking up a registered letter from the post office, different spellings should cause no problems (especially if the spellings are similar).

It is generally known that non Latin names are often spelled differently.

For a work contract (as for any important legal document) your official name spelling should be used

  • this name will be the one used for your insurance and pension registration

so you should send a copy of the passport page to your employer and ask that the contract details be adapted to the spelling used in the passport.

A copy of the letter sent to the employer should be submitted with the application so that they know it is being changed (if the changed contract is not yet available).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.