I currently work in the USA on H-1B status. I will shortly be resigning, which means I will need to leave the country.

How long will I have to leave? I have seen various confused answers on the web, including zero, ten, thirty and sixty days.

The law quoted in this answer (https://expatriates.stackexchange.com/a/14854/15934) suggests 60 days, but I have seen some say that it does not apply if you resign (rather than being fired or made redundant).

  • 2
    Nothing in the quoted regulation addresses how the employment terminated, i.e., by resignation or dismissal. Don't read things into it that aren't there. Note, however, that DHS may, in its discretion, shorten the time period. – DavidSupportsMonica Sep 27 '19 at 1:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.