My question is how do I get a residence permit in Northern Ireland? I am a resident of my father with Irish citizenship.

I am 26 years old and a Tunisian citizen.

migrated from travel.stackexchange.com Oct 9 at 3:15

This question came from our site for road warriors and seasoned travelers.

  • 2
    Your question isn’t very clear. What is your citizenship? Where are you resident now and what permit do you hold (if any)? What research have you done already eg using this tool gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y? – Traveller Oct 7 at 14:16
  • 2
    This seems very much like a question for Expatriates, but in short the answer is probably that you will not be able to get a residence permit in the United Kingdom based on your relationship with your father unless (1) your father lives in the United Kingdom, and (2) you live with your father there, and (3) you are financially dependent on your father. – phoog Oct 7 at 14:22
  • 1
    Thank you, I came on a tourist visa, my father is a resident who has a nationality and works. I am a Tunisian – herzi saber Oct 7 at 23:57
  • 2
    Were your father or grandparents Irish nationals born in Ireland? If so, you can claim Irish nationality by descent - which gets you an EU passport and the right to reside anywhere in the UK even after Brexit. – Martin Bonner supports Monica Oct 9 at 9:42
  • 1
    In addition to @MartinBonner's answer, if your father gained Irish Citizen (by naturalization or descent) before you were born (or before 1986), then you can apply for Irish Citizenship by descent via the Foreign Births Register. – CSM Oct 9 at 21:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy