I'm renting a room in a WG but for various reasons I will be moving into a room in a different WG next month, without cancelling the first contract.

So for a few months, until I manage to cancel the first contract, I will be paying rent for two rooms in different places of the same city.

I want to register my new address at the Bürgeramt so I can get any important letters there. But I don't know what happens with the other address.

Can I be in 2 places?

Staying in the old WG until the contract ends is not a viable option due to mental health concerns.

  • If you want all all your mail to reach the new address, you can use the Nachsendeservice ot the Post Commented Oct 23, 2019 at 20:01

1 Answer 1


Important is only where you are living

  • if you have moved out of the old flat, you are no longer living there
    • it does not matter if the contract still continues for a while

When you register for the new flat, you can be deregistered for the old flat automatically.

You can be registered to more that one flat (within Germany)

  • primary and (possibly multiple) secondary residences

If you occasionally work in another city and wish to retain a rented room there

  • that would be a secondary residence

But there can be only one primary residence.
So you must choose which one is which.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.