I have been recently offered a job in Berlin and am looking for starting my Visa process.

I have Bachelor of Engineering degree in Computer Science from India(VTU University).

I am not sure what sort of work Visa I should apply for.

I was going through the Germany visa requirements and it mentions:

he or she has a German or an accredited foreign or a university degree that is comparable to a German one.

  1. So, with the above-said degree, can I apply for a blue-card Visa. The other requirements (work salary) is fulfilled.

If not, what is the suitable work Visa category I should apply for?

3 Answers 3


You must make at least 53600€ (in 2019) per year (before taxes). If there is a shortage of skilled workers in your field, you must make at least 41808€ (in 2019) per year. As a computer scientist, you qualify either way (although you should earn more than 53600€/year in Berlin).

However, for a Blue Card, your degree must be recognised in Germany. You can look at the Anabin database.

For the residence permits other than Blue Card, please see https://expatriates.stackexchange.com/a/11511/13223.


It depends what sort of job you got the contract for ? If it's IT related then you can directly apply for EU BLUE CARD considering that you have met the salary criteria. Recently I went through the same conditions and now they have granted me type D visa.

  • I have a job as a software engineer in berlin. Oct 28, 2019 at 3:43
  • Then you are eligible for the blue card. I submitted the documents specified for the job seeker visa. As I am from Nepal the case might be different you can call the Embassy for more information. Oct 28, 2019 at 4:14

If the job you are applying for, corresponds to the degree you have (i.e. they match)

  • then you can apply for a Blue Card

assuming that the other conditions are also fulfilled.

Otherwise you must apply for a normal work visa and based on your qualifications (practical experience), then a determination will be maded if this conforms to a highly qualified employment that is needed.

Based on the wording of § 19a AufenthG (English text)

1) A foreigner shall be granted an EU Blue Card pursuant to Council Directive 2009/50/EC of 25 May 2009 on the conditions of entry and residence of third-country nationals for the purpose of highly qualified employment (OJ L 155,18.6.2009, p. 17) for the purpose of employment commensurate with his qualification, if
a) holds a German or a foreign higher education qualification which is recognised or otherwise comparable to a German higher education qualification or

the degree must match the employment.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.