I'm planning on moving to Toronto for a year (maybe more) and I intend to bring my motorcycle with me so I can have some self flexibility (visit Niagara Falls, Detroit, Cleveland, Montreal...).

I'd like to know, in your experience, what is the best way (ferry, plane or others) and costs of doing so.

Bear in mind I don't mind driving it a bit if needed. This means that in case of being a ferry, I could depart from Barcelona to New York and drive to Toronto, or for example depart from Lisboa. This applies both for ferries and planes (imagine this kind of flights depart only from Madrid, no problem driving there).

Key doubts:

  • Costs
  • Route (can be flexible as said)
  • Paperwork (a European licensed motorcycle in Canada implies some paperwork I believe)


  • I think this question fits better on our expats sister site. I will move it there for you. – Willeke Nov 3 '19 at 13:43
  • There's a discussion regarding transfering a car from Europe to North America over on Travel SE. Maybe this gives some insights: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/882/… – Bernhard Döbler Nov 3 '19 at 14:25
  • 3
    You might find it dramatically simpler, and cheaper, to sell your motorcycle in Spain and buy a new one in Canada... – Nate Eldredge Nov 3 '19 at 15:31
  • There will be a significant difference between bringing your bike to Canada temporarily as a tourist (i.e., for six months or less, presuming you're an EU citizen), and bringing your bike to Canada as a permanent import for a longer period. The former will be relatively easy, the latter a lot more difficult. – DavidSupportsMonica Nov 3 '19 at 16:46
  • I hope you're aware that the weather here isn't like in Spain. For half the year you likely won't be able to use a motorcycle. But if you do bring it, be sure to visit Friday the 13th motorcycle rally - Wikipedia in Port Dover. – Ray Butterworth Nov 4 '19 at 2:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.