I currently work in the IT field (as an Security Analyst) and I am in the works of moving to Germany. I've got a job offer from my employer but unsure whether I qualify for an EU Bluecard.

All the EU Bluecard requirements are met beside the University Degree. I am certified as an Security Analyst, have some other certifications done and 2 years of courses completed at a university but with no degree/diploma. I read that you need a University degree or 5 years or more experience in this field. I currently have over 7 years of experience in IT. Do I qualify for an EU Bluecard? Would it be easier to have a lawyer representing me? Any good lawyers someone could suggest in the Dortmund/Bielefeld/Munster region?

  • 2
    There is a much clearer answer at expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/6363/… Basically, in Germany (but not necessarily in other EU countries), you need a degree, no exception.
    – Relaxed
    Dec 13, 2019 at 22:08
  • @Relaxed This is not correct, § 19a (1)(1)(b) states clearly if he has a comparable qualification demonstrated by at least five years of professional experience. That should be considered an exception. Jan 13, 2020 at 0:17
  • 3
    @MarkJohnson That's not exactly what it states, you omited half of the sentence, the key is in “to the extent that this is stipulated by a statutory instrument pursuant to subsection 2 below”. Did you follow the link I provided? The bit you quoted has been in the law (and the directive) since the beginning but it remains void without the “statutory instrument“ in question.
    – Relaxed
    Jan 13, 2020 at 13:22
  • @Relaxed Your conclusion is incorrect since you are not taking into account 19.2.3 of the General administrative regulation for the Residence Act of 2009 (and is still valid in 2021): 'For the group of people according to number 3, the assumption of "high qualifications" is justified by their professional experience and professional position.' Note: After 2012, group #3 applied to peaple covered in §19a. Feb 6, 2021 at 14:23
  • @Relaxed Since March 2021 the main prerequirement is that the skilled worker has a qualification that enables them to carry out the desired job. Feb 6, 2021 at 14:23

1 Answer 1


I am in the process of applying for a European Blue Card for working in the IT sector in Paris.

Here are the conditions:

  1. You must have a Diploma leading to at least 3 years of higher education.

  2. You must have a contract of employment equal to or greater than 12 months justifying a minimum annual remuneration of 54K

  • I understand that a university degree is a requirement but it says that you might meet the requirement if you have 5 or more years experience in that field. Is that somehting I could rely on and apply ? Or is is safer to go with a long-term work visa...will I be able to bring my family with me with a work visa? Nov 13, 2019 at 20:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.