Some acquaintances who moved to France, once they got there, they have attended some French classes in which they were paid a monthly quota in order to, as said, learn the language and to integrate somehow within French society. They have EU citizenship

Is there a same thing in Belgium? I know a little bit of French but I'd like to do likewise before getting a job there, so I'm asking, is there something similar in Belgium? Are there courses in which attendants are paid a monthly quota or something like that?

Moreover, one of my friends there told me that any non-belgian EU citizen is granted at the beginning a 3-month permit, and within that related period, the person has to work at least one day, and after having satisfied this condition then they are granted, at the expiry of the permit, another 5-year permit.

If that is the case, can one day of lesson be considered as one day of work?

Note that I hold EU citizenship so I have little problems concerning papers and the like.

  • Have some patience. People are not waiting here to answer the moment a question is posted. They have their own lives too. Wait and someone will answer your query.
    – DumbCoder
    Commented Nov 14, 2019 at 14:24
  • Ok dumbcoder, sorry
    – abdul
    Commented Nov 14, 2019 at 15:06
  • 2
    Your mixing of learning a language and permits makes no sense. Again EU-Citizens need no permit to reside in another EU Country. Commented Nov 14, 2019 at 17:54
  • 2
    An EU-Citizen can, voluntarily., apply for a residence card which confirms that they are a resident. It is similar to a local ID card. Commented Nov 14, 2019 at 18:04
  • 1
    @abdul There are some conditions on long-term stay... but there is no requirement to get a permit. That's not exactly the same thing. But it's true that Belgium is one of the countries that's most proactive in enforcing these restrictions and you will need to register with the municipality.
    – Relaxed
    Commented Nov 15, 2019 at 0:26


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.