I've been searching and haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this question.

I'm currently in France on a long-stay visa which bears the statement "travailleur temporaire." My contract is a CDD from October to April and my visa is valid until mid-May. I was just wondering, if I was to quit my job after December, would I still legally be able to stay in the country until May? I don't plan on getting another job in the 4.5 months that I will remain in France - I simply want to take some French classes and travel around Europe.

I am contracted by a government department so it's a pretty official job. I have had no answer from the consulate back home.

  • Note that technically, you may not simply quit a CDD, you can only end it before its term for a limited number of reasons (finding a permanent job, moving to your spouse, etc.) In practice, it's unlikely your employer would sue you for damages but that's the law.
    – Relaxed
    Nov 19, 2019 at 23:20

2 Answers 2


Unlike other countries, France does not have a notion of a visa or residence permit automatically becoming invalid. If you cease to fulfill the requirements, the préfecture can however decide to invalidate it. So your visa remains valid until they notify you otherwise. If they do that, they will also in most cases issue an obligation de quitter le territoire français and give you 30 days to leave France by your own means. After these 30 days the consequences become more serious (removal, etc.)

As far as I know, the préfectures typically don't bother. They wait for the end of the 1-year term and reevaluate people's situation when they need to renew their residence titles. Note that leaving your job without prior authorization can have consequences for the renewal even if you found another one in the meantime. It doesn't seem to be the case for you but that's one factor to consider.

  • This is what I was under the impression would happen but wanted to double check - I have contacted the French Consulate in Australia but I truly would not be surprised if I didn't receive a response. Thanks for your response!
    – user19234
    Nov 20, 2019 at 15:26

Since the duration of your issued travailleur temporaire was for a specific contract, which you wish to terminate earlier

  • you should assume that the issued permit is no longer valid since the conditions have changed

You should go and ask the responsible Prefecture if your present permit needs to be adapted.

The second link below, mentions changing an employer but not for simply remaing without working

  • that link also offers to search for your local Prefecture

You want to change category

You can benefit from a temporary or multi-year residence permit on the same basis or other basis than the one under which you were issued your residence permit.

Conditions to be fulfilled if you wish to benefit from a multi-year residence card:

  • If it is for another reason for staying: you must fulfill the conditions of issue of the temporary residence permit corresponding to the new reason for sojourn;



  • Hi Mark, I will definitely look into contacting my local Prefecture. It's a bit stressful considering my French isn't great and they don't seem to have services to cater to non-French speakers. Thanks for your response!
    – user19234
    Nov 20, 2019 at 15:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.