I recently moved from India to France to be with my Husband. We live in an area which is covered under the Swiss 'G-Permit'. I am just beginning to learn French. Is it possible for me to get this permit to be able to work in Switzerland?

  • Please don't create duplicate accounts. Contact us about getting access to your original account. Thanks!
    – ouflak
    Nov 22, 2019 at 9:00

1 Answer 1



Third-country nationals will only be given a cross-border commuter G-permit, if they have a permanent residence permit in a neighboring country. They also need to have had their residence in the neighboring country’s border zone for at least six months and fulfill the labor market requirements. G-permits are usually valid for one year, and are limited to the border zone of the issuing canton. Third-country border commuters require permission to change jobs or occupations.

I'd guess the answer is no, depending on your definition of recent. You need to have lived there for 6 months.

After that it depends on whether you have permanent residence or only temporary work contracts.

  • 2
    (+1) Unless I am mistaken, EU law and the bilateral agreements don't apply to this situation (it would be different if the French citizen was living in Switzerland or possibly even if the husband was an EU citizen other than French). Consequently, the “labor market requirements” clause is likely to be much more of a hurdle and the French residence permit doesn't help much.
    – Relaxed
    Nov 20, 2019 at 21:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.