I understand landlords are required to undertake right-to-rent checks, to check their tenants have the right to stay in the UK. I am currently renting a house on the basis of my Tier 4 student visa.

However, the rental contract ends long after my Tier 4 visa expires. (I'm obviously not planning on overstaying my visa. I'll be going home for about a month and then returning to the UK – and the house – to tie up some loose ends.) As I'll be returning to the UK on the basis of my non-visa national status, will I have the right to remain on the contract? I don't want to get my landlord or flatmates in trouble.

To clarify, I'm not concerned about gaining entry to the UK (I use the egates and I'm also a Registered Traveller). My question is, having successfully gained leave to enter the UK, would I be considered as having a legal right to rent?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.