I am non-EU citizen working in Luxembourg with a valid Luxembourg work permit, but I would like to move to the German boarder (Trier) and commute every day to go to work. My question is: is it possible to obtain a residence permit in Germany and remain working in Luxembourg ? If yes, would it be possible later to renew my work permit in Luxembourg by being a German resident, or the German residence permit would allow me to work in Luxembourg ?


1 Answer 1


A similar question was answered here.

This is called a Grenzgänger (Cross border commuter), for which special rules apply.

The best thing to do is to make an appointment at the Ausländerbehörde and ask them how the Grenzgänger rules would apply for you.

Since you are working in Luxembourg, the German resident permit would only be needed to reside in Germany.

Income and social taxes are based on where you work

  • with special rules dealing with usage of one where earned in another

There are organizations that assist with advice in these matters.


  • I believe the English term is usually "cross-border commuter" or something along those lines.
    – phoog
    Commented Dec 19, 2019 at 15:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.