I am originally from France but have been living in the US for 13 years and now have dual citizenship. I am considering relocating back to France. I am a freelancer and I am looking at creating a "micro-entreprise" in France so I can continue my activities as an independent contractor. I would like to continue freelancing with some of my US-based clients. One of them said they would need an updated W9 with my new address so we can continue working together. 

Can/Should I put my French address and my US Social Security number on a W9 form? To clarify, my client would wire payments to my French bank account, and I would pay my taxes in France (although I am aware that I would still need to file in the US every year).

Thank you for your help!

1 Answer 1


Yes. As a US citizen, you are a US person, and should fill out W-9 instead of W-8BEN to provide your Social Security Number. You can put a foreign address on the W-9, as per the answer to this question.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.